| Servings : 4 | Cooktime : 40 minutes | Difficulty : 2/10 |
400g canned lentils
1 stock pot (red wine)
300g chestnut mushrooms
300g portobello mushrooms
2 white onions
6 cloves of garlic
200 ml gravy stock
3 to 4 large red potatoes
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt & pepper seasoning
1. Peel and slice the onions. Mince the garlic. Wash and roughly chop the mushrooms. Peel and chop the potatoes into large chunks. Measure out the herbs and get your stockpot at the ready.
2. On a medium-high pan fry off the onions for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Next add the garlic minced and fry for another two minutes.
3. Add in the mushrooms and fry until dark and savory, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the herbs and the stock cube. When this is well combined add the tin of lentils with the water from the can, This is full of flavor.
5. While this is simmering for 3-4 minutes, take your potatoes off the steam and mash with a knob of vegan butter and dairy-free milk (oat milk).
6. In an oven-proof dish decant the beefy mushroom mixture and top off with the mashed potatoes. Spreading them across the top to make a seal. Rough up with a fork, this is what will create the crispy top.
7. Pop into a preheated oven, Fan 180 degrees, 350F, gas mark 4, for about 20 minutes. If you’re not seeing the delicious crispy top you hoped for turn on the grill part of the oven for 5 minutes but watch carefully as you don’t want it to burn.
Share this recipe and Pin this to your latest vegan meals board for safekeeping!